2016 Persons Case Award RecipientsFriday, October 21 2016
Canadians recognized by Governor General for advancing gender equality October 18, 2016 – Ottawa, ON – Status of Women Canada: Today, the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women, announced the six outstanding Canadian women who are receiving the Governor General’s Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case for 2016.
- Cecilia Benoit, (Victoria, BC) - Academic, mentor, advocate
- Anna-Louise Crago, Toronto, ON) - Academic, women’s rights advocate
- Lucia Lorenzi (youth recipient), (Port Coquitlam, BC) - Activist, volunteer, educator and advocate
- Pascale Navarro, (Montréal, QC) – Journalist and author
- Norma Jean Profitt, (Yarmouth, NS) – Academic, community leader, international activist
- Diane Redsky, (Winnipeg, MB) – Community leader, advocate for Indigenous women’s rights
This year’s Persons Case Awards will take place in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on November 15, 2016, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of women first achieving the right to vote in Manitoba in 1916.