Add Your Voice to Parent Voices in Support of DaycareWednesday, July 28 2010
Federal News update
On February 24, 2006, Prime Minister Harper and the minority Conservative government announced they will end the 5 year federal-provincial child care agreement with BC and 9 other provinces.
According to the Conservative federal finance minister, the Conservative government "has a mandate to scrap the $5-billion in child-care deals with the provinces" and instead give parents $100 a month for each child under age six.
BUT parents and advocates are clear -- the Conservative monthly "Allowance" is NOT a child care program!
Prime Minister Stephen Harper's decision to cancel the federal-provincial funding agreements are a huge setback for families and child care.
Did you know that this federal money is now used by the BC government to:
- provide more child care subsidy dollars to more families, thus assisting eligible families with monthly child care fees;
- increase the child care operating funding to child care programs, thus supporting some regulated programs to avoid another substantial fee increase; and
- increase the capital grants for some non-profit organizations, thus covering some of the facility costs of building new licensed child care centre spaces.
Without these federal-provincial agreements and funding, a lot is at stake! Needless to say, parents and child care advocates are speaking up!
What CAN YOU DO to ADD YOUR VOICES?
- YOU CAN JOIN the Coalition of Child Care Advocates of BC. March is membership month! Complete and print the form at http://www.cccabc.bc.ca/about/join.html
- YOU CAN take a few minutes and SIGN a pan-Canadian letter - speak up to protect the gains made on child care. Click onto: http://www.buildchildcare.ca/BE_petition.php/honourthem
- Parliament sits in April. BC Parent Voices will be launching a BC campaign to send a loud and clear message to Premier Gordon Campbell and Prime Minister Harper. There is a lot at stake for BC families!
- YOU CAN watch for the details of our BC Parent Voices APRIL CAMPAIGN -- "Sock it to 'em!" and actively PARTICIPATE and encourage others to as well. [Get a head start -- start saving children's and adult socks now]
BE SURE to regularly check the Coalition of Child Care Advocates' website for up to date federal/provincial child care news, information and campaigns http://www.cccabc.bc.ca
Any questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org