Fiscal Challenges and Pay Equity in New BrunswickThursday, March 19 2015
Coalition’s Brief on New Brunswick’s fiscal challenges: PAY EQUITY IS PART OF THE SOLUTION!
The Coalition submitted the attached brief asking the government to respect the principles of gender equality and social justice in the program review and the search for new sources of revenue. It would be wrong to perpetuate inequality and pay discrimination against women in an attempt to balance the budget. Human rights are not a luxury. They are at the very core of our democracy.
The Coalition’s brief recommends that the government:
- use gender-based analysis in its program review and search for new revenue sources;
- adopt pay equity legislation in the private sector;
- ensure pay equity to workers in the care-giving sector, services which are mandated by the government but delivered by the private sector;
- refrain from privatizing more services;
- increase personal income and corporate taxes rather the HST as a means of increasing general revenues.