Funding Casualities Under the Harper GovernmentThursday, October 2 2008
Casualties: Have you Heard?
by Senator Elaine McCoy
The Canadian Health Network (CHN) is the latest in a series of services to be shut down by the Harper government. As of April 1, 2008, the CHN's superb website will be killed. A new site, Healthy Canadians, has been launched instead. If you're looking for unbiased information on, say, abortion, don't go there. The first of 1,670 responses to a search on that word lists a document issued by the Canadian Forest Service (Shoot-tip Abortion and Pseudoterminal Buds) !
The number of funding casualties continues to grow. We did a quick survey the other day, and here are the results:
- Canadian Health Network (April 1 '08)
- Women's Future Fund (March 7 '08)
- WISE - Wellbeing through Inclusion Socially and Economically (December '07)
- NAWL - National Association of Women and the Law (September '07)
- DES Action Canada
- Court Challenges Progam (September '06)
- NB Coalition of Transition Houses
- National Organization of Immigrant and Visible Minority Women
- Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women
- Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action
These shut-downs and cut backs are all having adverse impacts on information and resources for Canadian women. No doubt there are other organizations facing similar challenges. When will Canadians say enough is enough?
Comment at the blog: www.albertasenator.ca/hullabaloos